Search for a Recipe

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Pumpkin Soup

Would you believe we ate this all so quickly, I completely forgot to take a picture of it.  I had really been wondering if it was possible to make pumpkin soup using pumpkin puree, since I prefer to bake my pumpkins to cook them rather than fight the pumpkin to peel and chop it into chunks which could be boiled.   It was just my luck that the Food Network Magazine had a little blurb on making pumpkin soup using canned pumpkin.  I modified the recipe a bit, since I prefer to have a bit of onion and carrot in my fall soups, and this version turned out very nicely.  Enjoy!

Pumpkin Soup
Serves 6-8

In a large pot over medium heat melt:
2 Tbsp. butter

Add and cook 3-4 minutes, until onion is tender:
1/2 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced thinly

Add, and bring to a boil:
3 cups chicken broth OR 3 cups water + 3 tsp asian mushroom seasoning

Let the soup simmer 10-15 minutes, until the carrots are tender. 

Add and allow to simmer 2-3 minutes:
2 cups pureed pumpkin (canned or homemade pumpkin puree)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
salt and pepper

Add, if desired:
1/4 - 1/2 cup 2%-4% milk or cream (lactose-free milk works great)

Remove from heat.  Using a stick blender (or other blender), puree soup until it's your preferred consistency. I like to leave mine a little chunky, but it's nice thoroughly pureed as well. 

Serve with sliced and toasted garlic bread.  It's great with homemade white bread, sliced, buttered and with a bit of garlic powder sprinkled on top and heated in the oven until lightly browned. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment