Search for a Recipe

Monday 30 December 2013

Kristin's Low-Sugar and Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies/Muffin Tops

These yummy cookies/muffin tops turned out puffy and chewy and were gobbled up by everyone, without anyone seeming to notice they were a low-sugar experiment.  They seem an appropriate 'New Year's' cookie recipe to post.  But really, I'll eat them anytime.  They're a fun, quick cookie to whip up and I love that they taste like muffin tops! Enjoy!



Kristin’s Low Sugar and Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies/Muffin Tops
Makes ~30-36 cookies

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line cookie sheets with silicon mat or parchment paper.

Mix in a mixer:
¾ cup white rice flour (OR 1/2 cup brown rice flour + 1/4 cup white rice flour - I found they spread a little bit more, but were just as tasty, and add a bit of extra fiber)
¾ cup whole oats (gluten-free if celiac or sensitive)
¼ cup brown sugar                                            
½ tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg

Add and mix in at medium speed, just until blended:
¼ cup oil
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup honey
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract

Add and mix in:
½ - 1 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)

Drop by 1 Tbsp amounts onto prepared cookie sheets.  Bake 8-9 minutes, until lightly browned.   
Remove onto a cooling rack to cool.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! They are incredible! I substituted coconut oil for the regular oil and added chocolate chips. They came out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love them, too! Good to know about the coconut oil substitution. I'll give that a try next batch I whip up.
      I always make a few with chocolate chips for my 3 year old, who refuses to eat the cranberry ones, :)

      Delete
  2. I am going have to try these.

    ReplyDelete