Search for a Recipe

Thursday 5 February 2015

Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes

These are a wonderful cupcake, filled with just the right amount of mint, plus some crushed peppermint on top.  They'd be a cute Valentine's Day treat, too. You can, of course, pipe the frosting to make them look even nicer, but I tend to just swipe it on when we're making it to eat at home.   I even made mini versions for the big gluten-free wedding reception I put together for my brother and his wife. Enjoy!
*I prefer to use the DoTerra Peppermint Essential Oil in this recipe, which you can find at mydoterra.com/cstolworthy, my friend Christine's online store.

Mini versions in candy cane wrappers topped with my favorite marshmallow frosting with tops dipped in crushed candy cane

Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 to 36 cupcakes, depending on recipe used

Homemade recipe: 
Makes 36 cupcakes
Make up one batch of Julie's top-secret Amazing Chocolate Cupcakes.  Add 6-9 drops DoTerra Peppermint Essential Oil* into your batter.  Put in 36 muffin tins, lined with paper lining.  Bake as directed.

Box mix method:
Makes 12 cupcakes
Use either President's Choice or Betty Crocker GF chocolate cake mix.  Mix together as directed, using oil in place of butter.  Add 3 drops DoTerra Peppermint Essential Oil* into your batter.  Separate into 12 muffin tins. Bake as directed.

Frost with either half or whole batch of my favorite marshmallow frosting, depending on how many cupcakes you make.
You can either:
1. Mix **crushed candy cane (remove any large pieces) into the frosting
OR
2. Sprinkle or dip **crushed candy cane (remove any large pieces) on top of the frosting.

A special holiday treat! This was the quick slather on version - Yum!

These were a BIG hit!

*I prefer using the DoTerra Peppermint Essential Oil in this recipe. The taste is fabulous. You can buy the DoTerra Peppermint Essential Oil at mydoterra.com/cstolworthy, my friend Christine's online store.  The great thing I love about the DoTerra Essential oils is that they're a very high quality and taste, and are made to be ingested - they have all sorts of other flavors that can be used in cooking and baking! 
**To make crushed candy cane, place unwrapped candy canes (or hard peppermint candies) in a ziploc bag (then again in another ziploc bag to avoid excess mess) and crush with something hard - I tend to use the end of my rolling pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment