Search for a Recipe

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Pumpkin Waffles

I absolutely love making pumpkin foods in the fall. Of course, you can make these any time of year, but in the fall they are especially appropriate.  These waffles have a wonderful spiced flavor to them. They'll have a crispy outside and a slightly softer inside than your normal waffles because of the pumpkin puree.   You can cool and freeze any leftovers and reheat them in a toaster oven.  Enjoy!

I'm adding a bit extra to this post: These waffles are yummy - and we enjoy them, but my husband and son want me to add that their absolute FAVORITE pumpkin breakfast is my fluffy pumpkin pancakes.  They also wanted me to add that while they enjoy these pumpkin waffles, their favorite waffles are still my apple cinnamon waffles.  I must say that I agree on both counts.  So, give those recipes a try! Enjoy!
Yum!  I love the slightly orange color from the pumpkin.

Pumpkin Waffles
Makes 12 waffles (Yes, you can double or triple this recipe!)

Mix in a separate bowl:
1 cup Kristin's gluten-free flour mix
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of each: cloves, nutmeg, allspice
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Mix together:
1 1/4 cup milk (lactose-free works great)
1 egg
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (canned 100% pumpkin OR make your own pumpkin puree)
1 1/2 Tbsp butter, melted

Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients.  Set aside while you pre-heat your waffle iron.
I find if you use homemade pumpkin puree the batter will be a bit chunkier than if you use canned pumpkin.  You can make sure to thoroughly mash up your fresh pumpkin puree before you cook with it, but either way, it'll turn out just lovely. 

Preheat waffle iron (I'm assuming this takes yours 5-10 minutes).

Butter waffle maker, and cook waffles like you would normally.  I like to do mine a bit longer/extra for a bit of additional crunch.  Set on a cooling rack once made.

Serve hot with syrup and any other toppings you like.
Cool and freeze any leftovers. Reheat in a toaster oven.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment