Search for a Recipe

Thursday 8 September 2016

Pumpkin Bagels made with REAL pumpkin!

Fall and pumpkins are starting to arrive!  What a great way to combine two of my favorite foods. Anyone who knows me knows I love bagels.  I've posted eleven bagel posts so far. This pumpkin bagel recipe will make a dozen, and one more, which is sure to come, will make a proper baker's dozen.   This recipe works best for making small-sized bagels, because of the combination of fresh pumpkin with the other ingredients.  They're great with a pumpkin pie cream cheese (recipe below), too.  Enjoy the fresh fall pumpkin by making up your own pumpkin puree, or use 100% canned pumpkin in this recipe.
I also include a list of all my pumpkin recipes linked from the pumpkin puree & pumpkin seeds post. Enjoy!

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bagels
Fresh gluten-free pumpkin bagels, ready to eat!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bagels with Pumpkin Pie Spice Cream Cheese
Pumpkin Bagel with Spiced Pumpkin Cream Cheese (below)
Pumpkin Bagels made with REAL pumpkin (cream cheese recipe follows)
Makes 8 - 12 bagels (depending on size you make them)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats.

Mix dry ingredients in a mixer:
1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp quick/rapid-rise yeast
2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder (optional, but I find it really helps the rise)
1 tsp salt

Add and beat mixture for 4 minutes (it will look crumbly initially, and then hold itself nicely together after it mixes a couple minutes): 
1 cup 100% pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
3 eggs
4 Tbsp oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

*** This dough will be a lot thicker than my ordinary bagel recipe, but resist the temptation to add more liquid.  The pumpkin puree adds quite a bit of water to the dough, and if you add extra water the bagels will flatten while cooling.***

Use wet hands, form plum sized balls and then make a hole in the center.  You can use extra water to smooth these nicely.  Depending on the consistency of my pumpkin (some are wetter, some thicker), I've sometimes been able to pipe these into large bagels.  It's easiest to just form by hand wetting hands between each bagel.  
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bagels before rising
Let bagels rise 30-40 minutes in a warm location.  You can place an upside down cookie sheet on top of your cookie sheet to help them while rising. (I put mine on top of the oven).
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bagels after rising
Bake at 350F for 20-28 minutes (depending on size).
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bagels after baking
Cool on a cooling rack.  These are great hot fresh, or toasted with pumpkin pie cream cheese (below).  Slice and freeze any extras.  They reheat perfectly in a toaster oven.  Enjoy!

Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese
You can adjust the spices to your personal taste.  Either use pumpkin pie spice, or a little of the spices listed here plus the brown sugar and pumpkin puree.
Mix together:
1/2 container cream cheese (~4 oz.)
3-4 Tbsp 100% pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
pinch cloves
pinch allspice
pinch ginger

2 comments:

  1. hi Kristin! cool recipe. I made it right away last night as I had some cooked pumpkin in the fridge. I like the simplicity of it. but I was a bit lost with the consistency. I followed the recipe to a T but my batter seemed too dry to pipe. so I added some water...and maybe it was too wet in the end as my bagels were quite flat. I also probably made them too small, I had closer to 14 bagels vs 8. What is your batter's consistency when you put it into the piping bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carmen, this batter does end up thicker and more stiff than my regular bagel recipes when you pipe into bagels - mostly because of the pumpkin. Once you pipe them, you add water on top, so they shouldn't be crumbly, but will definitely be thicker than my ordinary bagel recipes. I've found that once cooked they won't end up dry bc of the pumpkin puree. I have found with too much liquid they will end up flat rather than puffed, as you discovered. I cannot tell you how many flat pumpkin bagels I have made people eat around here while I was experimenting again and again. You can make them the bagels smaller or larger, just vary the baking time, but I found because the batter is thicker, it was easier to make larger bagels with this dough. Hope that helps!

      Delete